The seemingly recent new median of electronic smoking came in a variety of shapes and sizes. Some look like plastic cigarettes, some look quite phallic, and others look like slightly fat pens.
So many smoke shops were selling it, endless websites market their selves with videos of how they are manufactured, and the variety just never ends really. I some how manage to have a few hours to spare during finals week and did a brief product research. The best and most entertaining way to start with these kind of things, of course, was through subreddits.
Here are a few things I managed to discover:
* People usually go from brand models: Blu -> Ego-Twist -> Provari
*Find a kit, or build your own. You just need to find a decent battery, atomizer/clearomizer (mouthpiece and juice piece), USB charger, and juices.
1000mah will get you ~ 11 hours
* the higher mah, the longer it goes without charging
* usually after 300 charges you will need to replace it, most chargers will tell you when batteries are out or need to be charged
* never over charge a battery by leaving it to charge overnight, and never charge in hot areas like your car (sensitive like any other lithium battery)
There’s a debate with converting to a Twist. The advantage is adjustable voltage, but that adjustment depends on the user (some never even adjust it)
Twist- goes up to 4.2 volts
Ego - T stays at 3.2 volts
ATOMIZER (part that releases juice):
* Cartomizers are generally made of non transparent plastic or metal.
* Clearomizer is the same with a clear casing so you can see your liquid.
Sometime additional coils are needed after they burn out (usually about the same price as one pack of smokes, but each coil lasts for a few months)
Juices go from all wonders of flavors from peach creme, coffee, and “Grizzlynanni bear”, but some still keep it simple with tobacco and menthol flavor.
* You can also determine the concentration of nicotine in each juice before you purchase. Ideally if you want to quit nicotine, you start with a high dose and fade to a lower dose of nicotine. If you can also opt for no nicotine if you just like to vape.
* PG/VG strains- preferred to get liquids from local shops (USA made)
should not be over $10 for 10 ml
PG is propylene glycol get that “throat hit” and flavor
VG is vegetable glycerin make the vapor
CULTURE & SOME POLITICS
- Russia claims to banned E- cigs, but technically they are referring to imitation cigarettes. Vapes and etc. are still being sold. Other countries consider it to be pharmaceutical, and others ban any nicotine alternative other than cigarette. I need to read up more on this.
- There also seems to be a culture between a pool of people saying “fuck it, just go vape all the way” and a group of people who are debating to convert. Those days of secretively taking a few puffs in the alley would be over.
- There’s toxicity but no where as bad as a cigarette. Most importantly, there are no longitudinal studies about the effects so far.
- In the years to come, where will the FDA stand between this hot topic?
Lastly, a round of applause for the inventors of E-cigs: Herbert Gilbert (1963) who invented flavored steam & Chinese pharmacist Hon Lik (2003) who made the first electronic cigarette.
I wonder if the tobacco company had anything to do with their deaths…